Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Join me for NaNoWriMo!

Those of you that have followed me for a while aren't surprised that I'm doing NaNoWriMo in November. It's actually the 7th year I've participated in the November writing craziness, banging out 50k words (or as many as I can--some years I don't win 'officially' but any words are good words in my opinion!) in 30 days. And looking back, it's been pretty dang successful for me:

Read a snippet HERE
2008: Used NaNoWriMo to write the bulk of my FIRST published book, "Despite the Ghosts". I submitted after finishing and editing in February 2009, and received my contract in July of that year.

2009: Didn't participate. Didn't finish a novel. When you're a writer, not writing is NOT GOOD! Needless to say, I learned my lesson...








Check out a snippet HERE
2010: Participated and wrote my novel, "Any Witch Way" which went on to be published in 2013. Why so late? The original story ended around 20k words--and my amazing editor at TWRP said it needed more 'dark elements.' She was right. I revised, adding in a demon (yes, a demon!) and the story became much more well-rounded and interesting









Read a snippet HERE
2011: Participated and wrote my novel, "Despite the Fangs," which went on to be published in 2014 (it needed LOTS of edits and paring down, as when I finally finished it, the tome was well over 120k words!)

2012: Participated and hit the 50k with "Makeovers and Minions." But...haven't finished that one. Got busy with "Fangs" edits and put it aside. Death for any novel! I will pick it up eventually because I absolutely ADORE this heroine and hero...just need to get back in that mojo.






Need a GREAT Holiday
story? Check out this $1.99
book HERE
2013: Participated and wrote only 20k of "Reality Princess." Figured out midway through the thing that perhaps a plot would be nice...and I didn't really have one, LOL. So...that one didn't get done. But I took the time in 2014 to write my short story, "Piper's Piping" which was published in 2014 as part of the "Twelve Brides of Christmas" series. So there's another manuscript I will revisit--after I figure out a plot for the thing, of course!

2014: Participated and banged out 50k+ words in my contemporary YA "Delinquent". This was HUGE for me as it is a switch of genres from what I've published these past 7 years. The manuscript is with an agent and editor now, and I'm hoping for a contract soon!

Which brings me to this year: another YA is on deck for me. This is the second in my teen labels series (started with Delinquent), and is called "Despoiled." I created my WIP cover below just for funsies (yes, that's the gorgeous Victoria Justice below--the inspiration for my heroine!) and I am really looking forward to the insanity and crazy creativity of NaNoWriMo to kick my muse into high gear!! If you'd like to read about the book, you'll have to buddy me on NaNo, as that's the only place I'm putting the blurb and excerpt for this WIP!
Photo credit: from Interview
Magazine online HERE

Want to join me? There's still time! If you're new to NaNoWriMo, go HERE to check out my videos on the subject. My personal favorite is the Prepper List for NaNoWriMo. I also have a page from last year's NaNoWriMo on my blog HERE if you want to check it out.

Okay...off to check things off my list before November 1! If you decide to embark on this novel-creation journey with me, please do buddy me in the NaNo world--I'm listed under DylanNewton. You can't miss me! :)

Happily My Ever After,
Dylan

P.S. The video links for all things NaNoWriMo in my world can be found HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you success as you work your way through NaNoWriMo this month! Looking forward to your YA books.

    ReplyDelete