Friday, May 2, 2014

Brothers and Sisters Day QUIZ

Me and my baby sister, Marleah @ 1975
Today is Brothers and Sisters Day. Sounds fake, but it's real. Even Ryan Seacrest posted about it with a Celebrity Brothers and Sisters quiz , so I thought I'd take some time to quiz you on some famous sibling authors and fictional brothers and sisters!

Brothers and Sisters in Fiction Quiz:

1. Name the three famous sisters that wrote novels in the 1800's under the male pseudonyms of Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell?

ANSWER: Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte and Anne Bronte, respectively. The three had varying degrees of success (Charlotte is most famous for "Jane Eyre"; Emily wrote the darkly Gothic novel, "Wuthering Heights" and Anne wrote "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall")

2. Can you name all four of the March sisters in Louisa May Alcott's novel about the bonds of family, "Little Women" (whose characters were loosely based on the author's own sisters)?

ANSWER: Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy March






3. Can you name all of the Weasley siblings in the "Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling in BIRTH ORDER?

ANSWER: Did I throw you off on the birth order thing? Ok, here's the answer in birth order: Bill (William), Charlie (Charles), Percy, Fred (although they are twins, Fred was born first), George, Ron (Ronald) and Ginny (Ginerva).

4. In my novel, DESPITE THE GHOSTS, total skeptic Parker Sebastian is troubled by the supposed suicide of his brother, whose spirit ends up contacting psychic Nola Richards for help solving the mystery surrounding his death. What is Parker's brother's name? HINT: Parker and his deceased brother share the same initials, P.S.

ANSWER: Parker's brother (now a spirit) is Paul Sebastian. You can watch the video trailer to see what message Paul leaves on Nola's shower door that starts the whole paranormal romance here.


5. What are the real names for the Brothers Grimm, responsible for many of the fairy tales we read today?

ANSWER: Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm, who were born and wrote their collected folk tales in Germany in 1812. You can thank them for popularizing Cinderella, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretal as well as the version we know today of Little Red Riding Hood--a folk tale that my heroine in DESPITE THE FANGS has some issue with the re-telling (her werewolf family tells it verrrry differently!).


So how did you do on the Brothers and Sisters Day Quiz? Anything stump you? I confess I didn't know the names of the Grimm brothers, and I got the Weasley sibling order wrong...but I nailed the rest!

Be sure to follow my blog for more fun and quizzes as I...
Happily My Ever After,
Dylan

P.S. Did you see what the spirit wrote on Nola's shower door in my video here for my first book, DESPITE THE GHOSTS? One of the book's themes is brotherly love!

P.P.S. Want to read more on the interesting lives of the Bronte sisters? Check out this post on the BBC History site. And if you're a HARRY POTTER buff, check out this awesome family tree on the Weasley family and more here

5 comments:

  1. I failed miserably, Dylan. I had ideas on 1 & 2 - knew they were Bronte's in 1, and Meg and Beth in 2. Knew the twins, Ron, & Ginny on 3. Got lost on 4. And had 1 of the 2 correct on 5. Soemwehre around 40% if I had to grade myself. lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Lake--I have somewhat of a leg up on this quiz, being a Brit Lit major in college, I've done several papers on the Bronte sisters. :) I thought it would be a nice post to honor siblings, though--no matter what your quiz score!

      Delete
  2. Although I adore Ron in Harry Potter, I didn't remember his family's name, and I usually forget that Wilhelm isn't William. Otherwise, not too shabby. Thanks for a fun post. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Great job, Flossie! I figured you'd ace this test, being the avid reader (and former library guru!) that you are!

      Delete
  3. Great quiz. I love trivia. I did the best with siblings that are characters rather than the real life ones.

    ReplyDelete