Monday, October 29, 2012

Gearing up for NaNoWriMo 2012!

Today, I officially signed up for my month log flogging session... Also known as National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).

I first participated in NaNoWriMo back in 2008, where I began my paranormal romance novel (then titled) "A Ghost of a Chance," which later was published by the Wild Rose Press (with a title change) as "DESPITE THE GHOSTS." So, given that my NaNo project resulted in my first publishing contract, I'm obviously a big fan of the project.

So, what is NaNoWriMo?
It's a FREE web challenge dedicated to getting writers in the habit of writing every single day of November, such that by month's end, you've written 50,000 words...or a small novel. For those of you non-Math majors, like me, that breaks down to writing around 1,667 words a day every single day of November.

Yep. Even Thanksgiving.

To help you along, the fantastic writers and guest 'speakers' of NaNoWriMo send you amazing pep-talk posts and you get to commiserate with other like-minded writers in local and regional forums.

Or you can be like me and just be miserable by yourself as you slog through November. Whatever works.

Not for the faint of heart, NaNo will push you to your writer-ly limits...but in a good way. The best thing I get as a "WriMo" every year is a re-dedication to the BIC rule.

Don't know the BIC rule?
That's the most IMPORTANT rule as a writer: Keep your BIC--Butt in a Chair.

Yep. That's really all the writer-ly magic boils down to, right there. 
Applying butt glue and persevering. 

So join me, writers, and dedicate yourself to the BIC rule by signing up for National Novel Writing Month with me this November!! (We'll worry about our flattened rump in December.)

With my Butt in the Chair....I'll write my way to....
Happily My Ever After,

Dylan

Unless you didn't catch the multiple NaNoWriMo links in my above post, you can sign up for the November writing challenge by going here. It's free. And I guarantee if you complete the challenge, you'll be a better writer for it...not that my guarantee means a whole lot. That and $3.24 will get you a Dunkin' Donuts Chai Latte. Yummmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment