Thursday, August 18, 2016

Transitioning to Middle School--my Daughter's Gold Award Project

BRAG ALERT...
It's not often I include details about my family on this blog--I sort of feel there should be a filter
This is Devon, the blog's creative genius!
between my kids and my work. But this is an exception because...

I'm so freaking proud of my daughter! 

This project she's undertaken, How to Rock Middle School, is a two-fold effort: 1) she had a crappy transition from elementary to middle school. Like, crap-tasticly crappy. And she wants to do her part to make sure other kids don't suffer the same. 2) she's creating something that will 'live' without her when she graduates to count for her Girl Scout Gold Award project.

For those of you that don't know, the GS Gold Award is the highest level you can achieve in Girl Scouting (comparable to the Eagle Scout award for Boy Scouting). Devon has been a girl scout since she was a Daisy her kindergarten year, and continued with a troop through middle school, then went it alone as a "Juliette" Girl Scout through high school. Just remaining in girl scouting all 13 years is amazing enough, but to cap it off with a Gold Award--pretty incredible!

So if you have a minute, can you check out her blog here? Maybe you have a child starting middle school this year? This is a GREAT resource to allay his/her fears. Maybe your child had a good or bad middle school experience they'd like to share? Devon's blog allows for people to write in and contribute their stories!

Here's the link to her blog:

And here's the video she made to achieve her Silver Award in Girl Scouting--the video that can also be found on her blog!


Thanks for allowing my moment of Momma Pride!
Happily My Ever After,
Dylan

P.S. Want that blog link again for surviving middle school? Click HERE!

6 comments:

  1. Devon's blog is great! I remember when my kids were in middle school. It was brutal. A video like this would have helped them a lot. I worked with girl scouts for a year and miss it. Wish I could help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter just started middle school (this is her second week). I will be sharing this with her. Her school district doesn't have them go to middle school until 7th grade but I am sure this will still be very beneficial for her and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope something in the blog will allay her fears, Rene Brown! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Katherine! I do love leading Girl Scouts--if you still want to be involved, there are many opportunities! PM me, and I can point you in the right direction! :) I appreciate you stopping by my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Katherine! I do love leading Girl Scouts--if you still want to be involved, there are many opportunities! PM me, and I can point you in the right direction! :) I appreciate you stopping by my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Devon is truly an amazing young lady.

    ReplyDelete